Indian Naval Aviation : Updates and Discussions

@Picdelamirand-oil if Rafale has choosen over FA18 SH BK3, how will you make Rafale to fit inside Hanger lift, any plan to bring wing folding mechanism to Rafale M variant?
Rafale1.jpg
A Rafale in the Viki elevator: scale drawing. You have to remove the wingtips for it to fit.
You can also open the front tip as if you wanted to access the Radar and tilt the Rafale to the right side.

Reactions: AbRaj and Amarante
Rafale1.jpg
A Rafale in the Viki elevator: scale drawing. You have to remove the wingtips for it to fit.
You can also open the front tip as if you wanted to access the Radar and tilt the Rafale to the right side.

Only if you have a crane that can lift and drop the Rafale in that exact position. The Rafale's landing gear isn't all-wheel drive for it to move in and out in exactly that position. Clearance is very important too. So this is not a workable solution.

Folding wings is also not a workable solution due to the slats and stabs. The entire wing has to be redesigned completely, not just modified.

The only realistic option is to modify the carrier's lifts. But this works only on IAC-1, pretty much impossible on Vikramaditya.

• Agree
Reactions: Hydra
1.So it seems like you can’t convert a random airforce fighter jet design to a naval aircraft by adding arrester hooks,hardening airframe or changing canopy. It takes much more to be a good naval fighter than these mods slapped on a airforce jet.
2. LCA navy can’t be used as proper naval combat fighter but for training and familiarisation to carrier landings.
3. A dedicated naval fighter built specifically for naval operations like TED BF is necessity for IN and not mere an option.
4. AMCA too is not going to fulfill the naval requirements. It will be like another LCA new attempt.
@randomradio

Pretty much. The IN needs a dedicated carrier fighter.

The N-LCA can be used to train pilots, but when operating from land. A dedicated N-SPORT makes sense for this role.

Only if you have a crane that can lift and drop the Rafale in that exact position. The Rafale's landing gear isn't all-wheel drive for it to move in and out in exactly that position. Clearance is very important too. So this is not a workable solution.

Folding wings is also not a workable solution due to the slats and stabs. The entire wing has to be redesigned completely, not just modified.

The only realistic option is to modify the carrier's lifts. But this works only on IAC-1, pretty much impossible on Vikramaditya.
We don't need to convince you, we just need to convince the Indian Navy with a demonstration.

We don't need to convince you, we just need to convince the Indian Navy with a demonstration.

You have to impress a guy with a clipboard who's just basically ticking stuff off. He will only concern himself with the final results.

Vikrant lift.png

Are you planning to land & takeoff operations from our ACs during this trial?

It's not necessary. Both are proven jets for landing, only taking off requires shore based tests because such facilities have all the instrumentation needed for evaluations.

The IN is definitely supporting the Rafale-M though. It is the better jet.

@Ankit Kumar

IN plans to test the SH at Hansa in March. So you are right there.

Anyway, one of the jets will be leased in small numbers to train pilots and prepare the carrier.
As of now I am hoping that TEDBF is accelerated and IN decides to make do with the 41 Mig29K we have.

Rafale M or SH both will neither be able to operate optimally from STOBAR and their small acquisition numbers will mean higher financial burden per aircraft.

Further I did knew that Vicky lifts were kind of a problem but now that even IAC 1 can be a problem.

Lots of issues.

Reactions: Sathya
As of now I am hoping that TEDBF is accelerated and IN decides to make do with the 41 Mig29K we have.

Rafale M or SH both will neither be able to operate optimally from STOBAR and their small acquisition numbers will mean higher financial burden per aircraft.

Further I did knew that Vicky lifts were kind of a problem but now that even IAC 1 can be a problem.

Lots of issues.
The way India finishes a new defense project in past giving me an impression that TEDBF is minimum 15 years away from operating on our ACs, we need to purchase new aircrafts from abroad to keep up our ACs. I feel even 26 numbers are not sufficient for needs.

Reactions: Volcano

Lots of issues.

There are two objectives to MRCBF. TEDBF will take at least until 2035 to become a reality. 2032 is when they are aiming for IOC. So the first objective is to get their hands on new capability to bridge the gap until TEDBF is ready.

The second is the clearance of IAC-2 becomes very easy. They are arguing that the jets they plan on operating from IAC-1 can be used on 2, along with helicopters and stuff, so the expenditure on the air wing will be minimal. Which is why the competition is restricted to CATOBAR aircraft.

Anyway, the IN can't make do with just 41 Mig-29s. Whenever the carriers are not under refit, both carriers can be made available. We need enough jets to operate out of both. So the option is between some 38+ more Migs with old tech or 26 advanced jets.

Lots of issues.
I wish IN purchases Rafale M with the intention of operating it only for 10 years. Specify that it will be a stopgap till TEDBF matures and this squadron will be transferred to IAF after that. It would be a perfect fit to replace Jaguar IM of the No. 6 squadron.

If we assume Rafale M induction from 2024-25, then TEDBF will be definitely ready by 2035 (hopefully already replaced Mig-29K sqd by then). A single fighter navy is a desirable outcome.

I wish IN purchases Rafale M with the intention of operating it only for 10 years. Specify that it will be a stopgap till TEDBF matures and this squadron will be transferred to IAF after that. It would be a perfect fit to replace Jaguar IM of the No. 6 squadron.

If we assume Rafale M induction from 2024-25, then TEDBF will be definitely ready by 2035 (hopefully already replaced Mig-29K sqd by then). A single fighter navy is a desirable outcome.

Experience is not transferrable that way. A huge amount of time and money will be spent operating and gaining experience on the Rafale-M, it would be quite disastrous if that experience is lost for the sake of a little more money.

It will also delay IAC-2. We are not gonna get an indigenous CATOBAR capable jet until 2045-50, so we have to import jets for IAC-2 anyway. The jets out of IAC-1 will be switching over to IAC-2 by the mid-30s, and replaced by TEDBF on IAC-1.

Anyway, there are not enough Rafale-Ms for us to lease 26 of them. The MN has 46 in total, so it's impossible. Plus they are the older F3 to F3R models. The USN also cannot give up 26 SHs for 10 years, they are already facing a shortage due to the F-35 delays and pushing resources towards NGAD. While the USN can release 4 SHs for lease, the MN will find it difficult.

Experience is not transferrable that way. A huge amount of time and money will be spent operating and gaining experience on the Rafale-M, it would be quite disastrous if that experience is lost for the sake of a little more money.

It will also delay IAC-2. We are not gonna get an indigenous CATOBAR capable jet until 2045-50, so we have to import jets for IAC-2 anyway. The jets out of IAC-1 will be switching over to IAC-2 by the mid-30s, and replaced by TEDBF on IAC-1.

Anyway, there are not enough Rafale-Ms for us to lease 26 of them. The MN has 46 in total, so it's impossible. Plus they are the older F3 to F3R models. The USN also cannot give up 26 SHs for 10 years, they are already facing a shortage due to the F-35 delays and pushing resources towards NGAD. While the USN can release 4 SHs for lease, the MN will find it difficult.
Where did I say lease ? Wrong quote ?

Where did I say lease ? Wrong quote ?

Oh, you mean "purchase" jets for just 10 years?

Obviously not gonna happen. You are paying full price already. 30 years is the minimum you gotta use anything you buy, since that's how maintenance is scheduled. Post 30 years is when sustainment prices begin to hit the roof and you can get rid of it then, no different from what many European countries do.