Twin-Engine Deck Based Fighter (TEDBF)

But US fighters are based on first-look, first-shoot, first-kill. Isn't it ?
LOL.
This is why F22 is AIM9X fitted, and is trust vectored for higher agility ?
This is why F35 is AIM9X or ASRAMM fitted? And was searching to reach F16 agility (but it failed miserably).
But canard is same as delta-tail design in which you put the tail in front and call it canard.
NO.
Canards increase the lift of the main delta wings for a given AoA. Something a tail can't do.

Reactions: Shekhar Singh
Folding wings is irrelevant. You can make TEDBF carrier compatible, but it won't be mission compatible. It won't be able to do everything that's actually needed from a carrier jet.

At the very least, TEDBF will require a massive fuel fraction, competitive with the Flanker. But that's extremely difficult to achieve given the size constraints. Given our geography, we need TEDBF to have a 750-1000nm combat radius. But if it ends up at the same level as the Rafale or even lesser, then it's going to be useless.

Also, as mentioned by @vstol Jockey since the beginning, TEDBF cannot have the same wing design as the LCA, or someday it's going to fail spectacularly when landing on a carrier.

N LCA had lerx Delta design, had initially planned to add small tail too.. In N mk2.

Now seems like they are changing from Lerx to canard with DSI.

Wing folding reduces the strength and Gs it can pull. And also adds weight.
Since we opting for it, wing span & area probably planned to be increased significantly.

Seems like ADA is moving up the ladder in aerodynamic designs.

From cropped Delta -> Lerx Delta -> suboptimal Canard Delta -> Optimal canard Delta + wing fold -> Amca wing.

Just trying to learn from experts, I don't have any expertise in this area. @vstol Jockey & @randomradio are experts.

Personally, since I was in Junior High School in late 90's, Rafale has been the backbone/workhorse of my dream IAF force-structure (imagination).

Rafale was pure love - at first sight - simply based on what was being published in print-media reports of those days around Kargil war & post-Kargil war era. The newspapers I read then was The Pioneer, The Hindu/Frontline Magazine.

Also, because of my schooling background, had regular access to Jane's Defense releases (weeklies), Janes heavy publications (reference books) & occasionally, to my seniors in IAF & Indian armed-forces, in general.

My love-affair with Rafale continues. Nonetheless, that infatuation or reading some stuff on warfare/equipment wouldn't make anyone an expert, right ?

I continue to have an unquenchable inquisitiveness for subjects that fascinate me, buttressed by an innate yearning towards inexorable learning.

A question : is the indian navy market enough to justify such a new project ?
Developpement of this TEDBF and AMCA together aren't a waste of money and energy?
I'm afraid one of the two will be scratched, and the other accomodate to the second service.
I will give you the french example: Super Étendard

Did French naval aviation had a big enough market to justify this project?. Jaguar M was ditched to give 100% french solution to the navy then.

To operate three carriers and possibility shore defence there is a projected requirement of ~ 80-100. Also, From engine avionics there will be so many things common with other on going projects of ADA, LCA mk2 and AMCA.

Just like the french in Europe, us in the indo-pacific region aspire to be independent. We will not be Australia or Japan. For that purpose hardware like there are important.

LOL.
This is why F22 is AIM9X fitted, and is trust vectored for higher agility ?
This is why F35 is AIM9X or ASRAMM fitted? And was searching to reach F16 agility (but it failed miserably).

NO.
Canards increase the lift of the main delta wings for a given AoA. Something a tail can't do.
It depends on the location of Canard. Eurofighter Typhoon does not get the benefit of vortex lift from its canards. Plus even in Rafale, while the canards provide a vortex flow over the wing, they carry negative lift in most flight regimes.
In an unstable LERX-delta-tail config, the Lerx provide that vortex flow and tail provides positive lift.

Did French naval aviation had a big enough market to justify this project?. Jaguar M was ditched to give 100% french solution to the navy then.

To operate three carriers and possibility shore defence there is a projected requirement of ~ 80-100. Also, From engine avionics there will be so many things common with other on going projects of ADA, LCA mk2 and AMCA.

Just like the french in Europe, us in the indo-pacific region aspire to be independent. We will not be Australia or Japan. For that purpose hardware like there are important.
Bravo Eshwin. Sometimes all that knowledge you possess comes through. Sometimes....

Just trying to learn from experts, I don't have any expertise in this area. @vstol Jockey & @randomradio are experts.

Personally, since I was in Junior High School in late 90's, Rafale has been the backbone/workhorse of my dream IAF force-structure (imagination).

Rafale was pure love - at first sight - simply based on what was being published in print-media reports of those days around Kargil war & post-Kargil war era. The newspapers I read then was The Pioneer, The Hindu/Frontline Magazine.

Also, because of my schooling background, had regular access to Jane's Defense releases (weeklies), Janes heavy publications (reference books) & occasionally, to my seniors in IAF & Indian armed-forces, in general.

My love-affair with Rafale continues. Nonetheless, that infatuation or reading some stuff on warfare/equipment wouldn't make anyone an expert, right ?

I continue to have an unquenchable inquisitiveness for subjects that fascinate me, buttressed by an innate yearning towards inexorable learning.
So don't write it's the worst aerodynamic solution my dear. It's probably one of the best.

Jaguar was a bad solution. And at those time the requirement was for 100 units. Reduce to 71 lately.
But it was another time, where the defense budget was higher, during the cold war.

Can India afford the developpement of two medium fighters? Do India have enough skill, money and dedicated engineers to dupplicate its R&D efforts? I think it's madness.
A 60's fighter cost can't be compared to a brand new one.

Eurofighter Typhoon does not get the benefit of vortex lift from its canards. Plus even in Rafale, while the canards provide a vortex flow over the wing, they carry negative lift in most flight regimes.
EF2000 is very special. So special that alone in it's aerodynamic categorie ! and the result is not so impressive.

Never herad or read something about the negative lift of the Rafale canards. For me they are neutral in most regimes (but I'm not sure). If not the drag induced will have an impact on the range, and the range of Rafale is quite nice for such a medium jet (light among the medium. See SH18 for exemple)

Reactions: Killbot
Jaguar was a bad solution. And at those time the requirement was for 100 units. Reduce to 71 lately.
But it was another time, where the defense budget was higher, during the cold war.

Can India afford the developpement of two medium fighters? Do India have enough skill, money and dedicated engineers to dupplicate its R&D efforts? I think it's madness.
A 60's fighter cost can't be compared to a brand new one.
If France as a 2.7 trillion USD economy can afford some 2-3 squadrons of Rafale M, India with a 3 trillion USD can definitely afford some 80- 100 TEDBF in 10 -15 yrs from now .

Besides, the decision to do so has already been taken. ADA has already conducted preliminary studies, IN in on board, the PSQRs & the budget for the same will be issued shortly.

Perhaps you haven't seen the interview of Dr Girish Deodhare - Program Director ( Combat Aviation) & Director ADA where the entire roadmap of the LCA ( Mk-1, Mk-1a) MWF aka LCA Mk-2, TEDBF & AMCA Mk-1 & Mk-2 is given.

Re uploading it for your benefit.

EF2000 is very special. So special that alone in it's aerodynamic categorie ! and the result is not so impressive.

Never herad or read something about the negative lift of the Rafale canards. For me they are neutral in most regimes (but I'm not sure). If not the drag induced will have an impact on the range, and the range of Rafale is quite nice for such a medium jet (light among the medium. See SH18 for exemple)
You need to see the video clips of the rafale in flight and you will know about it. CCC config must have negative lift from canards otherwise the down flow of air from the canards will interfere with the flow over the wings and will destroy the lift even over the wings. The High Dihedral angle of rafale Canards is precisely for this reason. The vortex flow from the canards is generated at the tips of the canards.

Why not VTOL by ADA? This will challenge ADA designer to show some real skill :cool:

Then, why do you think ADA/HAL & IN are opting for the worst-possible design, when the design can't deliver on its missions ?

What are these experienced entities/institutions ready to part with precious $$$ funding for a a dangerous faulty design-choice, especially, when they do have time at hand (around 5 years) to design it form scratch (clean-sheet) ?

Or, why not learn from masters of naval-aviation & use F-18 design (which IN themselves like, since they are buying it), or maybe jump on Rafale-bandwagon ? or fund, AMCA for a naval-derivative ?

Is IAF/IN persisting with delta+canard designs because they prefer indigenous engine & they know our engines will not generate required thrust in coming decades ?

Isffffffff

Do you think Rafale like CCC design suits the role of a naval-aviation fighter ? What would have been your preferred design-choice for TEDBF ?

LCA, M2000, Rafale etc date back to the 60s and 70s, Rafale first flew in the mid-80s. They are not modern designs, and Rafale is only relatively modern. And ADA is merely using time-tested designs for their own work so that there is some surety of delivering a successful product. The F-16 and F-15 are also deltas. So is the Su-27/30, it's actually something between a swept wing and a delta.

The Americans left delta designs only starting with the F-22. Even the F-35 is a cross between a swept wing and a delta, while the X-32 was a delta.

The only true modern designs are still coming up, like the FCAS. The US may come out with even more modern airframe designs for NGAD, the Chinese may also release more modern designs, their J-20 is a delta as well.

Delta is basically the most safe design, which is why pretty much everybody choose it over a more modern but very risky design. Now most other new countries, even India, are chasing after the F-22's trapezoidal design because the US has done it and is considered safe. But now even this design dates back to the 70s and 80s, just 10 years ahead compared to the basic delta.

The problem what Vstol is referring to is not the delta design itself, but the sweep of the wing. LCA's sweep is excellent, but extremely risky for a carrier due to its confined space. One of the main reasons for this is the approach speed of deltas is very high. On land, you have an endless amount of runway to land on, but on a carrier, you get less than 100m, so it's not a good idea to design a delta for carriers in the first place, and it gets worse for the LCA due to its sweep.

The F-14 solved that issue by using swing wings which had variable sweep. So the wing would adjust itself based on whether the fighter jet wants high speed or low speed performance.
nw6192z2ui051.jpg

Earlier when the TEDBF was announced, ADA said that it would be a clean-sheet design, which was very good news. But later news came out that ADA will be base it on the LCA itself, which is extremely bad news due to the above problem. So unless TEDBF is a clean-sheet design, with a new wing design, it will fail as a carrier.

But my problem with TEDBF is none of the above, all of that is Vstol's thought. My issue is the TEDBF has to be a 750-1000nm fighter if it needs to be relevant, ie, roughly 1.5-2x the combat range of the SH. To put that in numbers, the SH does 1000Km whereas TEDBF needs to be able to do at least 1500Km, and in terms of basic range it means if the SH can do 2500Km, the TEDBF should be able to do more than 3500Km. So the TEDBF needs to carry 6 tons of fuel internally while being within the same weight as the Rafale-M, which is around 11 tons empty and carries 4.7 tons of fuel. If that's not achieved, then the alternative is to operate within the strike range of the enemy.

I'm definitely not an expert, but @vstol Jockey is definitely an expert even amongst experts. We are lucky to have him here.

Weird. TEDBF isn't competing with the Rafale though. The Rafale-M vs SH competition is for a different requirement while TEDBF is meant to replace Mig-29K.
I do hope they could make some IWB for the TEDBF for atleast two bvr missiles otherwise it will be DOA with nothing redeeming about it. All naval air forces will shift to fifth gen planes in their Navy's when the tedbf comes online and I fear it will still be inferior to the rafale and sh3 forget matching the f-35. TEDBF will be facing the j-31 and not the j15 for the most part . And by that time it would have matured quite a bit..

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JustCurious