Indian Railways Junction

We should allow Chinese companies if they are in a JV with an Indian company and that Indian company has majority stake.....we shouldn't forget Chinese did the same with their enemies' companies - west , Japan , South korea , heck even Taiwan
Chinese intention was to steal the tech meanwhile our companies form JV not to learn but for quick bucks.

Out of curiosity does anybody have any example where JV actually helped indian company gain in house tech

Chinese intention was to steal the tech meanwhile our companies form JV not to learn but for quick bucks.

Out of curiosity does anybody have any example where JV actually helped indian company gain in house tech
Biggest i can remember is Hero

That Chinese company has bid for the propulsion system & other electrical components.Furthermore as per the article the bid was made in December. The tender was opened y'day.
I guess, you were right.

What happens to them once we've achieved 100% electrification? Use them for shunting or in those remote locations where electrification isn't possible? BTW what's the cost per unit?
Don't know the exact cost. But 6 billion USD was the total value of two deals (1000 diesels with GE and 800 electrics with Alsthom).

Now they are actually the most technologically advanced locomotives in our fleet. So it will be a waste of resources to have them run shunting duties. They have highly efficient prime movers in them with the most advanced cabs too. Nothing in the contemporary world comes close , maybe the Charger Locomotives, but these are still better.

And trying to convert them before 15 years in operation will be a tremendous waste of resources.

If I didn't had to fight elections, I would have cancelled the GE order after 100 locomotives (we promised to import 100 from USA as a part of deal) and then if possible, instead put funds in procuring more WAG12B.

Reactions: _Anonymous_
Don't know the exact cost. But 6 billion USD was the total value of two deals (1000 diesels with GE and 800 electrics with Alsthom).

Now they are actually the most technologically advanced locomotives in our fleet. So it will be a waste of resources to have them run shunting duties. They have highly efficient prime movers in them with the most advanced cabs too. Nothing in the contemporary world comes close , maybe the Charger Locomotives, but these are still better.

And trying to convert them before 15 years in operation will be a tremendous waste of resources.

If I didn't had to fight elections, I would have cancelled the GE order after 100 locomotives (we promised to import 100 from USA as a part of deal) and then if possible, instead put funds in procuring more WAG12B.
Is this electrification of 100% of existing networks ? How does one electrify networks in the NE or J&K & ensure its electrified 100% of the time.

I'm guessing if 250 has been delivered, they'd probably stop at 350 & ask GE to focus on exports . It doesn't make sense to produce 1000 of these otherwise. What're we going to do with them ? How many of Alstom have we produced? I believe the latter are electric engines aren't they?

Is this electrification of 100% of existing networks ? How does one electrify networks in the NE or J&K & ensure its electrified 100% of the time.

I'm guessing if 250 has been delivered, they'd probably stop at 350 & ask GE to focus on exports . It doesn't make sense to produce 1000 of these otherwise. What're we going to do with them ? How many of Alstom have we produced? I believe the latter are electric engines aren't they?
The aim is to have all the main routes fully electrified (they carry 86-90% of passenger traffic) by 2023 end and rest (like J&K , NE) by 2026.

Around 12 locomotives have been rolled out by Alsthom plant.

• Informative
The aim is to have all the main routes fully electrified (they carry 86-90% of passenger traffic) by 2023 end and rest (like J&K , NE) by 2026.

Around 12 locomotives have been rolled out by Alsthom plant.

Don't bother dude. He's just looking for some hole to say that it's not 100% electrified and that the government is lying. You're just wasting time.

Cannot say what he means by rail section. The track length is to be 498 km.

In the next phase it's planned to connect Leh to Srinagar also. Maybe that length, but it doesn't make sense as it's not approved as of yet. Maybe he's referring road distance from Bilaspur to Leh. But 1500km seems too much for that too. Cannot say.

But one intersting news. This was supposed to be Final Location Survey , with deadline of October 2020. Seems the China thing accelerated it. Next stage should be final approval after which land acquisition can begin.

What happens to them once we've achieved 100% electrification? Use them for shunting or in those remote locations where electrification isn't possible? BTW what's the cost per unit?
It will remain in service after 100% electrification. Old locos might undergo conversion though depending on upcoming feasibility study report.