News Govt nixes Rs 32,000 crore ‘Make in India’ minesweepers project

But there is something called Operational Needs and Operational preparedness

In this case do we want the navy to function without Any Mine sweeper
If that helps in improving the future outlook of India by 2024-5, then the sacrifice today is worth it. It is like child labour vs educational investment. Child labour fetches money but at the expense of education for future use.

The minesweeper in use today can be refurbished to extend its serviceability by 10% more

Hello Sir ; Modi and the DM do not understand technical complexities

They are guided by the Bureaucrats who work closely with the service HQs

PM and DM only ask about the Overall preparedness and sanction the Funds

If something is necessary ; it is Bought No matter what from anywhere

So the Naval HQ should be asked why did they mess up this Acquistion and
How will Indian navy work without Mine sweepers

I agree. Its Modi is not expected to know the specification gap WRT inherently demagnetised engines. Its the job of our expers, who are more worried about making money than national defence.

Indian Navy urgently need minesweepers: Parrikar

The Indian Navy urgently requires minesweepers and hence there is an urgent need to re-appoint a new consultant for their aquisition, former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Wednesday.

Parrikar, who is now the Goa Chief Minister, said the urgency came in the wake of a Rs 32,000 crore ($5 billion) Mine Counter Measure Vessels (MCMVs) project with a South Korean firm falling through.

"We need those minesweepers urgently. So the new consultancy selection has to be done very fast," he told the media at the State Secretariat here.

Media reports earlier this week, quoting top officials of Goa Shipyard Limited, a Defence Ministry PSU, had said that the MCMV manufacturing contract had fallen through after negotiations with the Kangnam Corporation failed.

The contract was the biggest Defence Ministry initiative so far under the 'Make in India' initiative.

Parrikar said that only the South Korean consultant's role had been cancelled but the order to manufacture MCMVs was still on.

"What has been cancelled is the consultant's role. A particular consultant's tender was not as per rules and regulations, so they are re-floating it. What is big in that,"
he wondered.

"The exercise carried out by Goa Shipyard could not be completed because of certain terms and conditions set by the Korean company, which were beyond the scope of the tender.

"So what do you expect? There has to be retendering. So they have ordered retendering.

Now, this has nothing to do with the order
," he maintained.

Parrikar said that a delay of six months to one year in a long-tenured contract was absorbable and therefore not a cause for concern.

"It can be minimal. These are projects for eight years, ten years. So they can absorb the delay. A six-month delay can be absorbed. In an 8-10 year contract or a 12-year contract, you can absorb one year (delay). Percentage-wise, it is not very big," he said.

@Shashank pls change the heading to "govt drops the consultant for the deal" or something like it. The current title is currently misleading. We will never nix a project without wasting a few more years :)

• Agree
Reactions: Aravind
Any new updates on the Minesweepers. Heard that Russia is offering Alexandrit class minesweepers to the Indian Navy under ToT.

Apparently , the new EoI to be issued will be issued to Kangnam as well. If they've not received a suitable response from Kangnam after they were awarded the project , why invite them again is beyond me ?!?

they probably ddn't give the required donation to mota bhai.